What is Motivation?
Motivation is the fuel for our brain(Mind) which provides constant and enough energy consistently to achieve Goals in our life. According to some psychologist :
Motivation is the process that initiates, guides, and maintains goal-oriented behaviors. It is what causes you to act, whether it is getting a glass of water to reduce thirst or reading a book to gain knowledge.
Motivation involves the biological, emotional, social, and cognitive forces that activate behavior. In everyday usage, the term “motivation” is frequently used to describe why a person does something. It is the driving force behind human actions.
There are reasons behind every action. One of the reasons is MOTIVE. Motivation is an important life skill.
Motivation is a muscle that needs to be constantly worked and this can be achieved by reading biographies, enrolling in training and listening to motivational speakers who can share their own successes, while building you up.
Motivation doesn’t just refer to the factors that activate behaviors; it also involves the factors that direct and maintain these goal-directed actions.
Types of Motivations
- Extrinsic motivations: are those that arise from outside of the individual and often involve rewards such as trophies, money, social recognition, or praise.
- Intrinsic motivations are those that arise from within the individual, such as doing a complicated crossword puzzle purely for the personal gratification of solving a problem.
Components of Motivation
- Activation: Activation involves the decision to initiate a behavior, such as enrolling in a psychology class. Strong activation, means that you are more likely to start pursuing a goal.
- Persistence: Persistence is the continued effort toward a goal even though obstacles may exist.
- Intensity : Intensity can be seen in the concentration and vigor that goes into pursuing a goal.
Sources of Motivation
There are thousands of motivations around us. Such as motivation from books, motivation from quotes, motivation from the seminar, motivation from water, motivation from trees, motivation from kids, motivation from parents, motivation from teachers, etc.
Importance of Motivations:
1. MOTIVATION CLARIFIES A GOAL
When you’re motivated, you have a desire to change your life. Motivation pushes you towards your goal because of a desire for change. Motivation helps you clarify your goal so you know exactly what you want in your Life.
2. MOTIVATION SETS PRIORITIES IN LIFE
Once you know what your goal is, motivation helps you prioritize your life.
3. MOTIVATION TEACHES PERSEVERANCE
This ties in with the previous point, but motivation helps you strive through setbacks, trials and fears.
4. MOTIVATION FIGHTS AGAINST FEAR
Fear of failure is so common it can literally stop you from taking action. Motivation kicks fear in the butt because it tells it, no matter what I’m feeling, I’m going to do it anyway. Motivated people see beyond their fear and can visualize the outcome. Motivation will always help you see the bigger picture.
5. MOTIVATION BUILDS SELF-CONFIDENCE
When you’re motivated to achieve your goal, confidence is a by-product of the little steps taken to see that goal achieved. Motivated people will have a few projects on the go because they have pushed through barriers and seen positive results, which gives them the motivation to start new projects and try new things.
6. MOTIVATION INSPIRES OTHERS
Motivation is an attractive trait and it can inspire others to make things happen in their own life. If you’ve ever met or hung out with a self-motivated person, you instantly feel like you can achieve anything because their positivity and can-do attitude elevates your own spirit. Seeking out a motivated person can help elevate your own motivation levels.
7. Motivation is important to manage time efficiently
Motivation is important to manage daily life challenges, opportunities, and time efficiently to keep moving forward and achieving goals.
Motivation helps us to manage our time and become productive and beneficial for the organization. For example, personal, official goals and dreams motivate us to wakes up early in the morning. We do exercise and yoga to stay healthy and fit. It’s because we’re walking towards our goals.
When we are motivated we don’t waste our time. We communicate based on values and facts. We just focused on the goals that we need to achieve before the end of the day.
This is why motivated people are more productive and use time efficiently.